Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Forex never sleeps, neither does the fund manager

I have been short USDCAD since early september (1.0474) and still holding a runner + ~2200$.

Went long usdchf last night @ 9713 on daily. ahead of signal but I am profitable + ~1500$.



I have been posting a lot lately, guess I am kind of mulling things over. It's been just over 5 years I think since I started trading and I haven't been live in over a year (actually I think it was 2008). I think demo has made me somewhat reckless, leaving me with the hope that my positions become profitable (even though Id be up a significant amount this year if it wasn't for position sizing on my cable short beginning of the year, and my usdjpy conviction as of late). Been attempting to do this University of London/LSE external study work, but finding that it is really lacking the explanation of a physical classroom (or is it my absolute hate for micro economics?). I haven't been a great student in the past, but these past 2 years I have gone from a C student to an A student in a subject I haven't been good at since elementary. Decided to go back to the previous university and play by their rules. The trade off of having a good name on my piece of paper vs having a piece of paper I can afford is over. Although that piece of paper will make it easier for me to land a job in the finance world, I want to be a fund manager. Will the name help me raise capital? Probably, but what's the point of the name without the record to back it up? All I need is the basics to get my strategy programmed/backtested, then if plausible I can focus on forming the fund. So I won't be making over 300 000/year managing over 100 mio. Whatever. If I can pull good results from 100 000, then eventually, it will be 1mio, etc.

that was a huge block of rant hahaha, guess its my 230am rant time.


-P.

2 comments:

Will said...

Can you go into detail what your system is software wise? Would be nice to know your setup! Also what is this LSE study you are doing? Is it another qualification? How are you getting on with finding time to trade and time to study?
Keep up the blog, it's great to see how you develop your skills :-)

OttawaPhoenix said...

system is basically programming Ichimoku Kinko Hyo into a covered options writing strategy. As ichimoku is a very rule based system, it has a trailing stop loss built into it. My idea was to calculate the average distance, and average length of each signal it produces into an excel spreadsheet. I could use the averages to generally say that I can sell a call option that fits the signal majority of the time. I have traded the indicator for ages, felt like it was time to get more detailed into the system.

LSE is the london school of economics, I have been taking a few online classes designed by them through the University of London external system.

my trading style fits my lifestyle. I trade longer term usually, so I setup key levels and monitor the crosses via blackberry.

Thanks Will :)

its 3am, so forgive me if that doesn't make too much sense. add me to skype if you'd like to talk more: Ottawaphoenix.

-Patrick